Sunday, May 3, 2009

The Hype That is Garbage Enzyme

Lately, there has been an increased of news regarding the miraculous usage of the Garbage Enzyme. Since reading it in the Star newspaper not too long ago, I have been trying to understand the science behind the forming of this enzyme.
The simple steps to prepare the garbaze enzyme is shown in the illustration below.

To put it in words, the initial steps required are to prepare a plastic bottle and fill it up according to this ratio: 10 parts water, 3 parts organic waste and 1 part brown sugar. Apparently, a plastic bottle is necessary as oppose to a glass bottle to allow the content to expand as gases will be formed during the fermentation process. I'll point out in the coming post why I dislike this. Besides this, fruits waste are preferred over the vege waste as the scent of the product will be more pleasant. Last but not least, the sugar is necessary food for the fermentation process and during the first month, it is recommended to open the cap intermittently to release some of the trapped gases. After 3 months, the garbage enzyme (fluid) would be ready and the residues (solid) in the bottle can then be used as fertilizers.
As a conclusion, I would say that I am neither in the anti-camp nor in the advocate-team, although I am definitely sceptical on many of its functions and effectiveness. Hence, I'll take the opportunity to try it hands on to understand the function of Grabage Enzyme in the coming post of "Garbage Enzyme Experiment" Hopefully in this, I'll be able to run thru some of chemical equations to better explain the process.

4 comments:

williamcheong said...

So, can you share to us the usage of the enzyme? i wonder what's the actual combination of the mixture of enzyme with other fluid or detergent to perform the function greatly.. thnx.

Anonymous said...

I inclination not acquiesce in on it. I over precise post. Particularly the designation attracted me to study the unscathed story.

Anonymous said...

Good fill someone in on and this fill someone in on helped me alot in my college assignement. Thank you as your information.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.