Sunday, May 31, 2009

Kota Bahru, Kelantan

Back in November 2008, I attended my friend, Tiong's wedding in Kota Bahru (KB), Kelantan. Prior to this, I have only been in KB once so this would make it the second time that I have been to KB. However, this would mark the first time I have driven up to Kelantan and I must say, the furthest I have driven thus far!

My first visit to KB was short so I didn't have much time to explore. I only managed to see Khatijah Market (1st bottom), Yati's ayam percik - delicous and had air nyiur (coconut drink). The heat then was bordering unbearable so it slowed me down to go full steam ahead to explore. This time though, I have taken the opportunity to visit KB thoroughly. But first thing first, my priority is still on the wedding. Inside the bride and groom's room which is decorated in sea of red (2nd bottom).
We have a healthy bunch of bridesmaids (Chee Muis) and bestmen (Hengdais) helping out. In the morning, the Hengdais, which include me, have the task to "steal" the bride from Chee Muis who will provide a little resistance. Not to be taken in the literal sense, our job was to take on a few challenges on behalf of the groom as proof of his love. The venue for this challenge was in Renaissance hotel. The Chee Muis dress code was girlie pink (1st bottom) while the Hengdais are dressed in white shirt and black suit (2nd bottom).
After successfully stealing the bride, the yamcha session for the bride / groom family began. The wedding dinner was held at night in Renaissance hotel grand ballroom. The must have "Yam Seng" (toast) session at the dinner in Renaissance Hotel, KB (Bottom).
The dinner was a typical chinese wedding affair i.e. 8 courses and lots of alcohol consumption. During the the dinner, the Chee Muis and Hengdais accompanied the bride and groom to toast with each individual table. The reason is that we have to absorb all "ammos" intended for the newly-wed couple from being drunk. I think we did a pretty decent job that night.
When the dinner ended, we headed back to our rooms, tipsy and called it a day. We have to be in tip-top condition the next day because we'll be driving to Kenyir lake. Kenyir Lake is approximately two hours drive away from KB through snaking roads.
The next morning, we started late on the journey. On the way there, we met Chuo Ming's parents who were asking us to stop at a stall selling baulu and akok. Baulu and akok are malay desserts and distinctively Kelantan / Terengganu. I highly recommend these desserts, particularly akok, because it is very delicious especially when it is still piping hot. Besides, it is not easy to look for these delicacies in Klang Valley.
Tok Khamis stall
Akok is on the left, baulu is on the right.
More pictures of akok.
Coconut husks are used to cook and smoke the food, hence giving them a fragrant aroma.
We bought 3 big bags of akok and baulu, which eventually would last us for the next 3 days!
Likes:    The rooms in Renaissance are superb. Plush pillows and larger-than-king-size bed. The location is to die for too, being on the same building as the wedding dinner.
Dislikes: It was raining for 3 days continuously.

No comments: