Sunday, September 13, 2009

Laos Day 02 Kuangsi Waterfall & Lao Cooking Class


Breakfast at hotel
We woke up late the next morning due to the tiredness from the activities we did the day before. Nevertheless, we helped ourselves to a hearty breakfast and my breakfast comprised of a baguette, scrambled eggs and hams (Left). 
After breakfast, we explored the other parts of town that we have missed earlier. However by noon, we hired a tuk-tuk to bring us to another attraction that is Kuangsi Waterfall which is located 45mins away from town.
See map here.
Based on the reviews that I have gathered, the waterfall is beautiful with turquoise water flowing through layers of natural clay steps. My initial plan was first to visit the mini Zoo of Kuangsi that housed an Indochinese tiger and a few sunbears and then to take a dip in the cool refreshing pool. I was so looking forward to it that I have even brought extra clothes to change. Unfortunately things did not turn out as well as we have hoped because it was pouring heavily when we arrived ...darn. The swollen waterfall was practically roaring downstream when we arrived =). I was pretty disappointed for not being able to do any of the activities planned although that said, I still did enjoy the spontaneous experience.
While investigating the area, we found a river crab scurrying around the river bank. I've seen alot of sea crabs before but river crabs are quite new to me. My hunch is that she is probably taking a breather from the waterfall that is hammering her residence.
After the waterfall excursion, we went back to town to prepare for our next activity and that is Lao cooking class! There was alot at stake because our dinner depended on how well we gonna cook. The picture below shows some of the utensils that we have used during the class.
I was feeling a little proud to drab on the cooking class apron provided.
Yay, dinner is served. The cooking was not too difficult and we managed to churn out three dishes for dinner. We had the dishes together with sticky rice that has been prepared earlier. Authentically Lao. I would say that I am satisfied with the result only because I can't complaint on my own cooking.

Likes     :  The surrounding of Kuangsi waterfall and the air is so fresh and invigorating. The other thing would be preparing my own dinner.
Would be nice if ... there wasn't any downpour and I was able to dip in the turqoise water of Kuangsi.

Link:

3 comments:

Jean said...

So when are you going to make us the "laotian" cuisine??.... hehehe...

Julia said...

Very nice write up and I love the bit about the scurrying crab. Can't wait to read more... ;)

Orion Chan Yung Fatt said...

Haha no prob. I'm half shifu now.

Hehe, I loved the crab part too.