Thursday, November 5, 2009

Laos Day 04 Tree of Life and Watermelon Temple

What has a tree and a watermelon have in common in Luang Prabang?
They are both related to the two most important Wats in Luang Prabang. Wat Xie Thong (1st bottom) which is the grandest and Wat Visoun (2nd bottom) which is the oldest.
See map here.
Since Luang Prabang got its Unesco status due to its Wats, I definitely would not want to miss the two most signifcant Wats in town. I took my last few hours in Luang prabang to appreciate, in my personal view, some of the most intricate and splendid artwork you can possibly get.
Wat Xie Thong is famous for its 'Tree of Life'. Beautifully tiled mosaic are lined at the back wall to replicate a tree and other smaller features surrounding the tree replicates animals. The 'Tree of Life' was so captivating that I spent half an hour looking and taking pictures of the art. Hardly any rival of the same stature. The interior of Wat Xie Thong is just as amazing. The golden Buddha statue and the murals on the walls really stands out due to the usage of contrasting colours of black and gold. After satisfy with enjoying the serenity , I left the wat and head to my last destination in Luang Prabang.
Wat Visoun or directly translated as 'Watermelon Temple' was my last stop in Luang Prabang. This just my guess, but the Wat was probably named like this because it resembles a watermelon. Do you agree?
Somehow making Wat Visoun as the final destination felt correct because its on the way to the airport. Finally, we took the last few pictures of the temple and left.
Adios...
Like: Stunning architecture.

Link:
Laos-Day-03-Pak-Ou-Caves-French-Cuisine

No comments: